The N95 classic hits v20 firmware
Published by Steve Litchfield at 10:45 GMT, November 26th 2007
It's Out! Version 20.0.015 firmware for the Nokia N95 classic is now available via Nokia Software Update. This includes demand paging (!!!), so 30MB plus free RAM after booting, faster operation, N-Gage game store previews and portal stub, new camera software, integrated Search, new Welcome apps and more. Comments below!
A Note on Firmware Updating
Please remember that a firmware update will delete all data from your C drive (internal memory). You should back up your data. You may also wish to perform a sync with your PC to ensure any data you entered on your phone is on your PC. We also recommend writing down key settings (e.g. your email account information).
You may wish to take the firmware upgrade as an opportunity to reinstall your applications and data manually. This is generally a 'cleaner' method that restoring a backup (e.g. You may have manually installed Nokia Search version 4 (at it would be included in a backup), but is integral to the new firmware). We recommend you make a backup regardless of which method you choose.
Changes in the new firmware
- New Welcome application
- New camera software and tweaks from the 8GB model - FAR faster shot to shot time, with 'Processing image message' during any delays
- Long press on camera button launches camera if shutter is open
- New My Nokia SMS tips and mobile web portal system
- Demand paging (for ROM applications) with 30 plus MB free RAM after booting.
- Search 4.0 integration on standby screen.
- Old multimedia menu still there, i.e. it's not the new style
- N-Gage game previews (FIFA, Asphalt) and portal/shortcut to upcoming N-Gage client, as in N81 and N95 8GB
- Nokia Music Store client, although the store server hasn't been updated to handle the N95 yet - maybe this'll happen later today
- Keypress bug gone(!), I think
- No auto-screen rotation, looks like I was wrong predicting this, so we need Samir's RotateMe after all - someone please help him get this signed ASAP!
30MB plus free RAM, proving demand paging of ROM applications. Plus new default icon layout, including N-Gage shortcut
Search 4.0 now integrated into standby, plus new Applications menu, including MyNokia
More on My Nokia...
Is this Welcome app totally new? If not, then they've certainly made it more prominent on first startup and given it a facelift!